In the upcoming years, mobile devices will overtake desktop computers as primary devices to access internet. So, it is important to have a mobile-friendly website for your business. You need to provide seamless and user-friendly experience to your clients/customers and prospects using tablets and smartphones.
What is a mobile website?
A mobile website is optimized for viewing on a mobile device (smartphone or tablet) which means your current webpage address should reach the mobile web browser whenever internet connection is available. It does not mean that it will be easy to read and navigate on a mobile device with its current design. But it is important to make your website mobile friendly.
Whenever companies decide to build a new website, they start to build it in either of the two ways. One is for desktop and another one is for mobile. The desktop site be will found at your normal website URL. The mobile website is specifically built for mobile devices.
It will be automatically redirected to, depending upon from which device the visitors visit the website. A mobile website is nothing but the condensed version of desktop website. The features and content are streamlined so that the mobile visitors can get the information as quickly as possible. Pictures, videos and large documents are removed because of bandwidth limitations on visitors’ mobile data plans.
Like everything else, mobile website also has its own advantages and disadvantages. Let’s have a look:
Advantages of mobile website:
- Mobile website works on all app platforms like Android, iOS, Windows, etc.
- It is easy to convert your current website to a mobile website. Moreover it is cheaper and faster.
- At a later stage of the development, you can easily embed a mobile website into an app if you want.
- You can easily be found and accessed through internet searches and web links on a mobile browser.
- You can easily update your mobile site through your website management system.
- It will be quickly accessed within a few seconds from your mobile since it is smaller than desktop website and has only few files to be downloaded.
- Mobile websites don’t have a data hog. So, visitors who have data plans will not have to worry about the website eating too much of their allotted data.
Disadvantages of mobile websites:
- Mobile websites are not built on native code and this will affect the quality and performance of your website.
- While browsing a mobile website, phone’s features become unavailable. So, you will face some difficulties in that part.
- It is quite difficult to bookmark a mobile site. As a result, you need to enter the full web address every time you are browsing through mobile.
- Full content and features of a website will never be accessible in mobile devices.
- You will run the risk of people ending up at the wrong website address.
- Many mobile devices are emerging frequently. Due to that, you need to update yourself on the top of emerging technology, so that your mobile website will know what devices to detect. Ultimately, it is time consuming and takes high cost to maintain.